GDPR adaptibility of Cocoon.io platform

We need really this. And please update Cordova plugins too. @Blue_Sialia

@reenomt

You would think that Admob ads would be non-targetted by default, but it appears that they aren’t:

Ads served by Google can be categorized as personalized or non-personalized, both requiring consent from users in the EEA. By default, ad requests to Google serve personalized ads, with ad selection based on the user’s previously collected data. Google also supports configuring ad requests to serve non-personalized ads.

https://developers.google.com/admob/android/eu-consent

The way I understand it you can’t make opting-in to targetted ads a condition of providing service under GDPR, but I think users can opt-out of non-targetted ads by not using the service under the ePrivacy Directive (but I’m not 100% sure). I think you still need to display a notice even if your ads are non-targetted because some data is sent for frequency capping etc:

Although non-personalized ads don’t use cookies or mobile ad identifiers for ad targeting, they do still use cookies or mobile ad identifiers for frequency capping, aggregated ad reporting, and to combat fraud and abuse. Therefore, you must obtain consent to use cookies or mobile ad identifiers for those purposes where legally required, per the ePrivacy Directive in certain EEA countries.

https://support.google.com/admob/answer/7676680

I think the ePrivacy Directive is less stringent than GDPR, but that isn’t a legal opinion. All I’d say is it’s very complicated, as legal matters are, and we can’t assume anything. Cocoon.io would be advised to consult lawyers and give solid guidance to developers.

I’d be happy with a short term fix, setting the consent flag to “No”, so that we can monitise our apps in the short term, before a more complicated solution to obtaining consent can be worked out. In reality I can’t imagine too many users opting in anyway

In the latest SDK there is a prompt function for asking people to decide between those ad types.
However Ludei need to update their plugins and SDK first…
@imanolm1 @mortimergoro any infos about that?

Thank you!

Any serious company out there has already updated their tools to comply with the GDPR requirements.

Please update to add the consent API or Cocoon will not be an option for mobile apps anymore!

Still waiting for any further informations

I think we’ll have to wait a lot …

Still waiting here as well… If you’re from Ludei, please help us out! If you’re not, make sure to let Ludei know by speaking up.

I am still waiting for their answer, but no response yet.

I think, Ludei not support anymore Cocoon Project.
They updated 7 months ago and;
They don’t reply.
They don’t update.
They don’t support…

Well, now it’s end of June, I hope the SDK already updated before July :disappointed:

Sad, but seems to be very true…
Haven’t heard much from them either. I need to update my iOS games, but I can’t because of the icon issue and the missing GDPR abilities in their SDK.
So for now, I have removed my games from the store…

@andoni.martin.rebore @andoni.martin @imanolm1 @Blue_Sialia any chance to hope on your support?

Thanks!

What about Android ?? Can we publish our games there with these problems of Cocoon??

Android is not affected by the icon problem. Only ios.

I ment the GDPR issue…

Yes for a while, but if you using admob ads, the ads only will be shown at some devices, not all devices :frowning:

Well the GDPR applies to all devices, if you are using any tracking tools or ads, you must ask for consent in your game first. The latest Admob sdk has such a feature included, but it’s not implemented by cocoon yet.

I think the best thing will be to look for an alternative to cocoon …

any further information about progress or something about this @Blue_Sialia ?

We are preparing releases for our plugins regarding the GDPR. We don’t have an ETA but we will publish them as soon as posible.

In the meantime you might be interested in how some developers chose to deal with the GDPR.

Like presenting a hard gate at the start of their app: https://mobiledevmemo.com/how-mobile-gaming-companies-are-dealing-with-gdpr/

Some, like Supercell, are passing the responsibilities to third parties: http://supercell.com/en/partner-opt-out/

Regards.

Any news about upcoming update? Do we have to wait one more week or one more month for it?