Issue with png files with gradients on iOS

  • Cocoon Version:

  • Basic description of the problem:
    I do use a png file with a gradient in my latest game. It looks perfect on Android, but strange on iOS. Both uses Canvas+

  • Device info:
    Iphone 5s

  • Expected result:
    What’s the expected result.

  • Testcase:
    Here is my image (png-32). (4.5 KB)

  • Other information:
    Here are two screenshots, one from my Iphone 5S and one from my Samsung Galaxy S4


Samsung S4

  • Webview engine(s):

  • Framework/game engine (if relevant):
    Construct 2


This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.



@Blue_Sialia any news on this? It’s been a while.

Thank you!


+1 This is still an issue, any gradients In Canvas+ iOS will have a banding issue whereas Android works like a charm.
Not seen any good results even when using gradient dithering via Photoshop.
Hope this gets a response.


i have same problem, any news for this? we can fix this?


I haven’t tried it since then. Maybe the new cocoon beta version fixes this issue.
I ended up removing the gardient background for my game back then.

@Blue_Sialia any news on that?



I still have issue with the gradient rendering. When I change canvas + to webview gradient rendering fine.


Is your png 32bit ? i had this issue one time with 8bit png with transparency before (but on android), and no more in 32bits


Nope, still having an issue with CANVAS+ but not with Webview+.
Any solutions?


Yes the issue is related to Canvas+ only.
@Blue_Sialia any updates on this?



@Blue_Sialia @andoni.martin @imanolm1
Any hope to get this fixed? It still happens.

Thank you!


Any news? This is a very serious problem … why has nobody been paying attention to this for so long?


Found this issue today on iOs no matter the bit depth. Looks ok in android.


This is still an issue right now :frowning:


Sadly yes :frowning:
Any chance to address this in the next update? @Blue_Sialia



We’re freaking out here, our game looks horrible on iOS and we are launching in 4 days and WebView+ just fails to compile…


What error do you get while compiling for WebView+?



Hi Andy! We’re using Canvas+ but I tried to recompile with WebView+ for you. Here’s what I got:


Failed to fetch plugin via git.
Either there is a connection problems, or plugin spec is incorrect:
Error: git: Command failed with exit code 128 Error output:
Cloning into ‘/tmp/git/1512787595716’…
fatal: repository ‘’ not found


e[36m[2017-12-08 18:45:59.324] [DEBUG] IOSBuilder - e[39m[prepare] cordova restore platforms
e[36m[2017-12-08 18:45:59.337] [DEBUG] IOSBuilder - e[39m[prepare] adding engine ios@4.3.0
Ignoring: Contents.json
Contents.json is not a valid image
e[36m[2017-12-08 18:46:32.403] [DEBUG] IOSBuilder - e[39m[prepare] cordova restore plugins
e[36m[2017-12-08 18:46:32.407] [DEBUG] IOSBuilder - e[39m[prepare] adding plugin cocoon-plugin-ads-android-admob@*
e[36m[2017-12-08 18:46:32.444] [DEBUG] IOSBuilder - e[39m[prepare] adding plugin cocoon-plugin-ads-ios-admob@*
e[36m[2017-12-08 18:46:32.476] [DEBUG] IOSBuilder - e[39m[prepare] adding plugin cocoon-plugin-inapps-android-googleplay@*
e[36m[2017-12-08 18:46:32.529] [DEBUG] IOSBuilder - e[39m[prepare] adding plugin cocoon-plugin-inapps-ios-appstore@*
e[36m[2017-12-08 18:46:32.561] [DEBUG] IOSBuilder - e[39m[prepare] adding plugin
e[36m[2017-12-08 18:46:32.631] [DEBUG] IOSBuilder - e[39m[prepare] adding plugin com.ludei.defaultres.ios@1.1.1
e[36m[2017-12-08 18:46:32.730] [DEBUG] IOSBuilder - e[39m[prepare] adding plugin com.ludei.usericon.ios@1.0.1
e[36m[2017-12-08 18:46:32.779] [DEBUG] IOSBuilder - e[39m[prepare] adding plugin com.ludei.usersplash.ios@1.0.3
e[36m[2017-12-08 18:46:33.520] [DEBUG] IOSBuilder - e[39m[prepare] adding plugin com.ludei.webviewplus.ios@1.1.0
e[36m[2017-12-08 18:46:36.689] [DEBUG] IOSBuilder - e[39mFailed to fetch plugin via git.
Either there is a connection problems, or plugin spec is incorrect:
Error: git: Command failed with exit code 128 Error output:
Cloning into ‘/tmp/git/1512787595716’…
fatal: repository ‘’ not found